The Youth Block
If you have any queries or wish to hire the band, please contact the Band Manager John Colvine on:
Or use our Contact Form
The Band was formed in 1925, initially as a mixed instrumental group. In 1926, due to a lack of string players it converted to all Brass and was asked to become the Ellington Colliery Brass Band. The Band thrived throughout the following years, winning the National Brass Band Lower Section Championships twice in the 1950s. Unfortunately the Band started to decline in the late Sixties and its survival looked to be in jeopardy. However a small number of players; led by the Secretary, John Brannon, started an ambitious programme of youth recruitment and development which rebuilt the Band.
The 80’s saw a period of great success for the Band, winning many contests. The Band moved confidently into the 21st century, qualifying twice for the National Brass Band Championships and winning promotion up to the First Section. However the closure of Ellington Colliery in 2005 and the loss of the miner’s support was a severe blow to the band. Fortunately Northumbrian Water kindly offered to support the band and continued to do so for over a decade. The Band is now one of the busiest (and best) concert bands in the North East.